Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Miracles and Rejections

If you had a miracle everyday, how would you feel? Now lets turn that question the opposite direction. Would you give up if you got rejected everyday?

I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ. I serve God and others everyday here in the Washington D.C. South Mission. My purpose is to invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end.
As I'm doing so, I get the privelege and opportunity to observe miracles happen before my very eyes. Even though I see many miracles, both big and small, the message that I carry is rejected constantly. I thought it would be a good idea for others to see what I see. I am now have decided that my expectations are to have at least one miracle a day and to be rejected at least once each day. Hopefully I don't have to be rejected, but if I do, I plan to report it.

Last night, Elder White and I went to see a Less-Active member named Hector. He lives in an apartment complex that has a lock out. We had phoned up to his room without an answer, and so we bowed our heads and prayed. As we prayed that we would be able to find a way in, we heard someone come in the front door of the building, and better yet, we heard the keys in their hand. We quickly ended our prayer with an "amen" and we were let inside. We talked to David (he's the one with the keys) and we traveled up in the elevator with him to the fifth floor.

We got to Hector's door and we knocked once, twice, and then a third time. After the third time, I could hear a TV on inside. Sadly, and disappointedly, we walked back to the elevator and decended back to the first floor. As we exited the elevator, we almost bumped into a gal who was about 25-26ish. Elder White complimented her dreadlocks which were tied in a ponytail behind her head. (I've always found it interesting how conversations can be started). We found out that her name was Brittney and that she was Christian. We were able to give her a Book of Mormon and our number within a five minute conversation.

I am so grateful for the Lord and for the little miracles He lets me see. If David hadn't let us in, we would have never found Brittney. Despite Hector's rejection of our visit, we still were able to perform the Lord's work. I love this Gospel. I am grateful that I have a chance to help spread the "Good News" to others. I will always be grateful for the strength that I am given each day to continue to preach the word of God. I say this today, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

1 comment:

  1. What a great experience, Elder! You are so wise to be looking for the miracles. Satan would rather have you focus on the rejection because he knows that discouragement is one of his most effective weapons! How fortunate that you chose another path, His path, and instead, look for the miracles! You rock, Elder Armstrong!

    ReplyDelete